Saturday, March 19, 2011

Vanilla Flavoured Icy Poles

Hi, 
I sincerely apologies for the silence on my blog the past month, I have been travelling for work, hence not much cooking done by me the past four weeks. Before I went on my overseas trip, Sydney was still bathing in sunshine and enjoying nice temperatures, but after my return autumn seems to have kicked in. I started working on today's blog post before going away, therefore it has more of a summer theme than being inspired by autumn..
My last posting was of home made icy poles made out of fresh fruit, and today's recipe follows the theme of making your own icy poles, but is more of a milk based one. I served this as dessert when I had some colleagues over for lunch, but what's great about it is that you can choose your own toppings to dip the icy poles in..hence a great and fun treat to share with kids!  


Frozen Double Vanilla Milkshake
Makes: 12
Cooking time: 15 minutes, cook for 5 minutes, and then 3-5 hours to freeze
Ingredients: 
55g (1/4 of a cup) of caster sugar
2 Vanilla Beans
500 ml chilled organic milk
500ml good quality vanilla ice cream (I used New Zealand Ice Cream)


Toppings: chopped pistachios, crushed meringue, crushed honeycomb and hundreds and thousands (I used the two latter ones)


How to Make:
Stir caster sugar and 30 ml of water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, bring to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in seeds scraped from the 2 vanilla beans and cool to room temperature. 


Process milk, ice cream and vanilla syrup in a food processor until just smooth. Spoon the mixture into twelve 125ml moulds and freeze until semi-firm (1-1,5 hours). Insert icy pole sticks and freeze overnight. 


Dip the moulds briefly in hot water, unmould icy poles, and serve with chopped pistachios, crushed meringue, crushed honeycomb and hundreds and thousands (I used the two latter ones). 
As you can see from the processes outlined above these are very easy to make, and the vanilla seeds really gives the icy poles a very strong taste of vanilla (and who can resist that!??!)


Linnemoren

No comments:

Post a Comment